Last Update 23:50
Saturday, 24 August 2019

Congolese Ebola victim may have entered Rwanda, says WHO

Reuters , Thursday 18 Jul 2019
Ebola Epidemic in Congo
A Congolese health worker administered an ebola vaccine on Wednesday to a child at the Himbi Health Centre in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo (REUTERS)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 799
Share/Bookmark
Views: 799

A woman who died this month of Ebola may have carried the disease into Rwanda, the World Health Organization said on Thursday, a day after it declared an outbreak in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo an international health emergency.

The Congolese woman was a fishmonger who vomited multiple times at a market in Uganda on July 11, a few days before she died, a Ugandan Health Ministry report published by the WHO said on Wednesday.

The WHO said on Thursday that the ministry suspected that, while infected, the woman had also gone to the Congolese city of Goma and Gisenyi in Rwanda on business. Rwanda has never had a recorded case of Ebola.

Three people died in Uganda last month during the current epidemic, which has killed almost 1,700 people in 11 months. But they did not spread the disease further in Uganda, and the rest all died in Congo.

Labelling the outbreak an international emergency is a rare designation through which the WHO aims to galvanise global support to stop it from spreading further.

The move was prompted in part by the case of the fishmonger and by that of a pastor who died of Ebola after going to Goma, a city of 2 million on the Rwandan border.

Rwanda's health minister was not immediately available for comment, while Ugandan Health Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Ainebyona said Ugandan and Congolese health workers were trying to find people at risk following the market episode.

"The team from Uganda has visited Mpondwe Market (where the fishmonger vomited) and carried out tests on the traders, but no one has been found to be positive of the Ebola virus," he said.

The team was still monitoring the traders who had been tested.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.