Last Update 1:8
Wednesday, 18 September 2019

US-Turkey Syria operations center at full capacity: Minister

AFP , Saturday 24 Aug 2019
Share/Bookmark
Views: 756
Share/Bookmark
Views: 756

A US-Turkey operations centre aimed at creating a safe zone in northern Syria is operating at "full capacity", Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said Saturday.

Under an agreement reached between Ankara and Washington earlier this month after difficult negotiations, the joint operations centre will help coordinate the establishment of a buffer between the Turkish border and Syrian areas controlled by the US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).

"The centre of joint operations has begun to operate at full capacity," Akar told state news agency Anadolu.

He said the first joint helicopter flight took place on Saturday afternoon.

Akar's statement comes shortly after the YPG military group -- which has been a key US ally in Syria but is deemed by Turkey to have terrorist links -- said they would help implement the buffer zone in their areas along the Turkish border.

Ankara considers the YPG to be an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) which has fought a bloody insurgency inside Turkey for 35 years and is classified as a "terrorist" organisation by Turkey, the US and EU.

Turkey has repeatedly threatened to launch a new military offensive against YPG forces in northern Syria, where the Kurdish group controls a large swathe of land.

The operations centre was initially suggested by Washington to dissuade Ankara from carrying out another cross-border attack, after previous offensives in 2016 and 2018.

The YPG has been a key partner to Washington in the fight against the Islamic State group in Syria.

But as the fight against IS winds down in the region, the prospect of a US military withdrawal stoked Kurdish fears of a long-threatened Turkish attack.

Details of the safe zone are currently hazy, and no date has been set for its implementation

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.