Last Update 4:38
Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Senegal youth movement to occupy protest square

Activist group led by rappers plans sit-in in Senegalese capital to protest President Wade's candidacy

AFP , Monday 13 Feb 2012
Senegal
Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade speaks during an impromptu election campaign rally in the capital Dakar, February 7, (Photo: Reuters).
Share/Bookmark
Views: 622
Share/Bookmark
Views: 622

Senegal's rapper-led youth movement "Fed Up" said Monday it has called for a permanent sit-in at Obelisk Square in Dakar against President Abdoulaye Wade's highly disputed third term candidacy.

"We have decided to continue our struggle against Wade's candidacy. From Tuesday evening we will spend the night at Obelisk Square and we will stay there permanently," the group's co-founder Fadel Barro told AFP.

The sandy palm-fringed square in the suburb of Colobane is named for a large Obelisk in its centre built by the country's first president Leopold Sedar Senghor marking independence from France in 1960.

It has been the theatre of opposition protests in recent weeks against Wade's candidacy in 26 February polls they say is unconstitutional as he has already served two terms.

Wade argues changes to the constitution in 2008 mean he is due another two seven year terms. The validation of his candidacy by the highest court on 27 January sparked deadly riots, leaving four people dead.

Despite national anger and criticism from abroad, Wade, 85, has remained defiant, campaigning energetically throughout the country promising development and ambitious programmes.

The movement led by rappers, who spit critical rhymes against Wade, was started in January 2011 and has become a symbol of youth anger against his rule amid mounting frustration over corruption, high prices and crippling power cuts.

Barro said the main opposition and civil society movement against Wade, the June 23 Movement (M23) was also planning further activities in coming days.

The joint campaign to unseat Wade appeared in the last week to run out of steam as individual vote lobbying began and weekend protests fails to draw massive crowds.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.