Last Update 21:59
Tuesday, 19 November 2019

Uganda president's son denies plan to succeed father

Quashing opposition claims, the son of Ugandan President Museveni says he has no current plan to succeed his father

AFP , Monday 24 Jun 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 725
Share/Bookmark
Views: 725

The son of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has said he has no current plan to succeed his father, refuting weeks of opposition accusations he was preparing to take over power.

"Uganda is not a monarchy where leadership is passed on from father to son," said Muhoozi Kainerugaba, 39, son of the president and commander of a special forces unit, in a statement late Sunday.

Last month police shut the two main independent newspapers and two radio stations for 10 days after they reported arguments among army generals over whether the president's son was to succeed him.

"The power to choose how Uganda is governed lies with Ugandans and not a single individual as some people would want us to believe," said Kainerugaba's statement, released by the army's special forces spokesman Edson Kwesiga.

Newspapers in early May printed a leaked confidential memo by a senior general, David Sejusa, alleging that Museveni -- in power since 1986 -- was grooming Kainerugaba to succeed him.

Sejusa, also known as Tinyefuza, who has since fled to Britain, said there were plots to assassinate those opposed to the plan, but that claim was criticised by other generals.

Kainerugaba, a brigadier who now commands Uganda's special forces, has recently enjoyed rapid promotion through the ranks, although Museveni has made no mention of plans for him to succeed him.

Kwesiga said the president's son "issued the statement to clarify claims by a section of the opposition that there are plans to make him take over... he has not declared his ambitions."

Uganda is due to hold presidential elections in 2016 but it is not clear if Museveni -- an army general himself who rose to power as guerrilla commander -- plans to run again.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.