Russian airline Kogalymavia plans to ask for compensation from Egyptian authorities over the October crash of its Airbus A-321 in Sinai, the owner of the airline said on Monday in an interview conducted in Russian with Forbes Magazine.
Ismail Lepiyev, the owner of Russian Tourist Holding TH&C – the parent company of Kogalymavia, formerly known as Metrojet – told Forbes that "since there is a clear cause for the disaster, then we [the company] have the right to receive compensation from the country where the attack occurred."
Last month, the Kremlin said that a bomb had ripped apart the Kogalymavia passenger jet, which was heading from the Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh to Russia's St Petersburg on 31 October. The crash killed all 224 people on board.
"Egypt is Russia’s partner in many spheres, these are relations which have been built over decades, and we respect this and will try to agree to on compensation without judicial steps," Russian news agency TASS quoted Lepiyev as saying in the Forbes interview.
Egypt has opened an investigation into the causes of the crash, and allowed Russia to take part in the probe, though no official and final report by Egypt has yet been issued.
Russian President Vladimir Putin decided in November to suspend all flights to Egypt after the deadly crash, with the Russian Aviation Agency banning EgyptAir flights to and from Russia due to concerns about security at Egypt's airports.