Last Update 19:8
Sunday, 20 October 2019

Thomas Cook reports loss on Egypt

Europe's second-largest tourism firm takes an economic hit on North African unrest and may cut back tours if the political situation doesn't improve

Reuters , Monday 9 May 2011
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3526
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3526

Tour operator Thomas Cook said the impact from unrest in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) would be worse than expected as holidaymakers avoided destinations in Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco.

Europe's second-biggest travel firm said on Monday it expected around 35 million pounds (US$57 million) to be knocked off its profits in the second half of the year compared with its initial projection of 20 million.

The impact has been compounded by challenging trading conditions in the UK, where Thomas Cook said it expected its performance to be worse than last year as inflation, unemployment and fears of higher interest rates hit sentiment.

The company has been offering cut-price deals in Britain in an effort to stimulate demand but still expects its results in the UK to be worse than last year.

"It's tough in the UK because of MENA but you put on top of that what the UK's facing -- a really tough economic climate," CEO Manny Fontenla told reporters on a conference call.

"I certainly don't foresee an upturn in consumer confidence right now," he added.

The group is looking to mitigate the MENA impact by offering holidays to alternative destinations such as Turkey and Spain and has also targeted 30 million pounds of cost savings this year through a restructuring including more than 500 job cuts.

Thomas Cook said the ongoing unrest in Libya and other countries in the region was continuing to impact demand and the recovery had been slower than expected.

The group currently expects to offer around 60 per cent of the original programme of holidays to Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco but said that number could be cut further if the political situation does not improve.

Thomas Cook said travel restrictions to Egypt and Tunisia had resulted in about 160,000 cancellations, of which 120,000 were for travel to Egypt and 40,000 to Tunisia. The cost of the disruption in the second quarter was 22 million pounds.

Rival TUI Travel's Chief Executive Peter Long told Reuters the company was factoring in a hit of up to 40 million pounds each year from conflict and natural disasters.

Thomas Cook said it made an underlying operating loss of 166 million pounds ($272 million) in the six months to end March, compared with a 130 million loss in the same period last year, in line with forecasts.

Tour operators traditionally make a loss in the first half of the year, which does not include the key summer period.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Myegypt
09-05-2011 01:05pm
0-
0+
thomas cook
well maybe if thomas cook stopped telling its customers lies it would be better off. http://nilecruise.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/thomas-cook-liars/
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.