Last Update 23:5
Thursday, 18 July 2019

Saudi businessman in talks with Egypt over $4bln tourism project in Sharm: Newspaper

Reuters , Monday 21 Dec 2015
Egypt
Egypt's tourism minister Hisham Zaazou (Al-Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1539
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1539

A Saudi businessman is in talks with Egyptian authorities over a $4 billion tourism resort in Egypt's Red Sea region of Sharm el-Sheikh, Egyptian tourism minister Hisham Zaazou told Saudi newspaper Okaz.

Zaazou declined to name the prospective investor, the newspaper reported on Sunday, but said the project would be the largest resort in the Red Sea town, a popular beach and diving holiday destination.

The minister did not elaborate on what stage these talks were at.

Egypt's vital tourism industry has suffered from the political instability that followed the uprising against Hosni Mubarak in 2011. It took a further hit after a Russian airliner flying out of Sharm al-Sheikh crashed on Oct. 31, killing all 224 people on board.

Russia's FSB security service has said it is certain a bomb brought down the Airbus jet, a conclusion shared by Britain and the United States. Egypt said earlier this month it has found no evidence so far of terrorism or other illegal action linked to the crash.

Since the crash, some airlines have suspended flights to Sharm el-Sheikh for security reasons.

Saudi Arabia, along with Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, has invested billions of dollars to support Egypt's economy and maintain stability since 2011.

Zaazou has said he plans to make up for the loss of international business by encouraging local tourism, largely from wealthy Gulf Arab visitors.

Zaazou said around 450,000 Saudi tourists visited Egypt until Nov. 30. of this year, according to statistics he cited, compared to 400,000 last year.

Saudi Arabian Airlines (Saudia) said in November it planned to increase the frequency of its flights from the kingdom to the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh from Feb. 2016.

Kuwait Airways was also due to launch direct flights to Sharm el-Sheikh starting on Dec. 1 to support Egypt's tourism sector, the minister of information was quoted as saying in November. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Al
22-12-2015 03:46pm
1-
5+
The wrong answer!
So, you and your incompetent government destroyed tourism for civilized people, and now you're bringing in the riff raff to Egypt! why not get down to the bottom of the barrel and make it a tourism hub for rats? sewer is already everywhere on Egyptian streets, it's a better habitat for the mediocre tourism your government is capable of supporting!
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.