Production and commercial activity in the maritime city of Port Said are slowly returning to normal levels after having been brought to a halt during five days of recent political unrest, according to a report issued by the Egyptian Ministry of Manpower and Immigration.
Government offices have reopened their doors for public services and all ministerial offices in the city are now fully operational, Gamal Hamza, head of Port Said's manpower directorate, told Egyptian state news agency MENA on Sunday.
The city's production sector, however, has yet to return to business as usual, with production at almost 24 factories – employing almost 35,000 workers – having ground to a halt since violence erupted in the city one week ago, Gamal noted.
The city's maritime transport facilities and the Port Said seaport, however, were not affected by recent events.
According to Gamal, the manpower directorate plans to financially compensate local factories that were negatively affected by the recent turmoil.
The manpower ministry estimates daily losses owing to Port Said's recent production stoppages at some LE17 million.
Violence erupted in the city on 26 February after 21 local residents were sentenced to death for involvement in last year's Port Said stadium disaster, in which more than 70 football fans died.
At least 39 people were killed in Port Said in clashes with police following the announcement of the sentences.