In an official press release, Misr International Films confirmed that it is currently preparing to launch the 6th annual Panorama of the European Film.
Panorama, an annual event showcasing award-winning feature films and documentary productions from across Europe, will take place from 27 November until 7 December. The event will be hosted in three theatres across Cairo: Galaxy in Manial, Cinema Stars in Heliopolis and Plaza in Sheikh Zayed.
Launched in 2004, Panorama has attracted an increasing number of viewers every year as a result of the quality of films screened and the lively debates with international guests on themes pertinent to cinema.
This year’s team is working under the supervision of Marianne Khoury, founder of the Panorama and co-manager of Misr International Films. The event team plans to bring a selection of over 40 films from across Europe (with a special focus on Nordic cinema) to Egyptian audiences.
The Panorama will consist of 6 sections:
- European Cinema: including European productions from the past year, focusing on critically-acclaimed titles.
- Documentary Rendezvous: consisting of documentaries from both Europe and the Arab world, with a special selection of films created under the Euromed Audiovisual III program.
- First-Time Directors: including selections that celebrate the remarkable work of new directors and offers them a platform to showcase their work.
- Education and Cinema: composed of films tailored to student audiences, aimed at nurturing youth passion for cinema and intended to develop students' critical thinking and debate skills.
- Panorama Classics: including tributes to the most influential directors of cinema history. This year, Alain Resnais' first feature "Hiroshima Mon Amour" (1959) will be showcased thanks to the support of the Technicolor and Gan Foundation.
- Short Films: a selection of 5 short films that in different ways address the topic of women in Egypt, the end-product of the "Women in the New Egypt" project, a collaborative effort between Misr International Films and the British Embassy in Cairo.
Every screening will be followed by a debate or master-class with Egyptian and international directors and producers.
Ahram Online is a media sponsor of the 2013 Panorama of the European Film.