Last Update 23:50
Saturday, 24 August 2019

Jackson, 50 Cent line up for Saudi concert after Minaj cancels

AFP , Thursday 18 Jul 2019
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1134
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1134

Pop icon Janet Jackson and rapper 50 Cent are among musicians set to perform in Saudi Arabia, organisers said Wednesday, after rapper Nicki Minaj pulled out in a show of support for women's rights.

"WOW WOW WOW @50Cent is going to perform live at Jeddah World Fest!" organisers of the Jeddah Season cultural festival said on Twitter.

"@JanetJackson is confirmed to perform at Jeddah World Fest! We can't wait to see this incredible icon in Jeddah!"

They are to perform alongside British musician Liam Payne and American DJ Steve Aoki as the curtain falls Thursday on the nearly month-long festival in the Red Sea city of western Saudi Arabia.

Minaj was to have headlined the concert, but she cancelled in a show of solidarity for women's and gay rights in the ultra-conservative Islamic kingdom.

Minaj is well-known for her provocative, profanity-laced lyrics and skin-baring music videos.

The announcement of her performance had prompted an online backlash from arch-conservatives as the kingdom pursues a contentious liberalisation drive that has loosened decades-old restrictions on entertainment.

The cancellation triggered a fresh social media storm, with many fans in the kingdom voicing disappointment and demanding ticket refunds.

The singer insisted on Twitter that her decision was not intended to "disrespect" the Saudi government.

Citing unnamed sources, a few Saudi media outlets including the pro-government Okaz newspaper insisted it was the kingdom that cancelled the concert as it went against local "customs and values".

The country has faced intense international scrutiny over its human rights record since last year's killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul and the ongoing trial of women activists.

Saudi Arabia is boosting entertainment for its citizens to have fun, in what some see as an attempt to blunt public frustration over an economic downturn and high youth unemployment.

The country's General Entertainment Authority said it plans to pump $64 billion into the sector in the coming decade.

But some acts have fuelled controversy in a country still steeped in conservatism.

For more arts and culture news and updates, follow Ahram Online Arts and Culture on Twitter at @AhramOnlineArts and on Facebook at Ahram Online: Arts & Culture 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.