Harrison Ford will reprise his iconic role as the adventurous archaeologist in a fifth installment of the "Indiana Jones" series, the Walt Disney Company announced on Tuesday 15 March.
It said Steven Spielberg, who directed all four previous films, will helm the as-yet-untitled project that will hit the big screen in 2019.
"Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can't wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019," Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement.
"It's rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn't be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven."
Disney in 2013 took over rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise from Paramount Films and since then reports have been swirling that a fifth installment was in the works.
"Indiana Jones" burst onto the screen in 1981 with "Raiders of the Lost Ark," followed by "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in 1984 and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" in 1989.
Ford, 73, and Spielberg reunited in 2008 for the fourth installment of the series, "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," which got lukewarm reviews and reunited an aging Jones with his "Raiders" love interest Karen Allen. The movie also introduced Shia LeBeouf as their son.
The franchise has grossed nearly $2 billion worldwide.
For more arts and culture news and updates, follow Ahram Online Arts and Culture on Twitter at @AhramOnlineArts and on Facebook at Ahram Online: Arts & Culture