The Feature Films Jury headed by Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu has wrapped up the 72nd edition of the Festival de Cannes on Saturday, on the stage of the Grand Théâtre Lumière, Édouard Baer, the Master of Ceremonie, announcing the winners of their various contests.
GISAENGCHUNG (Parasite), directed by BONG Joon-Ho
The Palme d'or was awarded by Catherine Deneuve et Alejandro González Iñárritu.
ATLANTIQUE (Atlantics), directed by Mati DIOP
The Grand Prix was awarded by Sylvester Stallone.
BEST DIRECTOR PRIZE
LE JEUNE AHMED (Young Ahmed), directed by Jean-Pierre & Luc DARDENNE
The Best Director Prize was awarded by Viggo Mortensen.
JURY PRIZE EX-ÆQUO
- LES MISÉRABLES directed by Ladj LY
- BACURAU directed by Kleber MENDONÇA FILHO & Juliano DORNELLES
The Jury Prizes were awarded by Michael Moore.
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR
Antonio BANDERAS in DOLOR Y GLORIA directed by Pedro ALMODÓVAR
The Best Performance by an Actor Prize was awarded by Zhang Ziyi.
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS
Emily BEECHAM in LITTLE JOE directed by Jessica HAUSNER
The Best Performance by an Actress Prize was awarded by Reda Kateb.
Céline SCIAMMA for PORTRAIT DE LA JEUNE FILLE EN FEU (Portrait of Lady On Fire)
The Best Screenplay Prize was awarded by Gael García Bernal.
To Elia SULEIMAN for IT MUST BE HEAVEN
The Special Mention was awarded by the actress Chiara Mastroianni.
SHORT FILMS - COMPETITION
THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US AND THE SKY réalisé par Vasilis KEKATOS
SPECIAL DISTINCTION BY THE JURY
MONSTRUO DIOS réalisé par Agustina SAN MARTÍN
The Palme d'or and the Jury Special Mention for Shorts Films were awarded by the President of the Short Films and Cinéfondation Jury, Claire Denis and by Nadine Labaki, President of the Un Certain Regard Jury.
UN CERTAIN REGARD PRIZE
A VIDA INVISÍVEL DE EURÍDICE GUSMÃO (The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao) directed by Karim AÏNOUZ
O QUE ARDE (Fire Will Come) directed by Oliver LAXE
PRIZE FOR BEST PERFORMANCE
CHIARA MASTROIANNI for CHAMBRE 212 (On a Magical Night) directed by Christophe HONORÉ
PRIZE FOR BEST DIRECTOR
KANTEMIR BALAGOV for BEANPOLE
SPECIAL JURY PRIZE
LIBERTÉ directed by Albert SERRA
JURY’S « COUP DE CŒUR » EX-ÆQUO
- LA FEMME DE MON FRÈRE (A Brother's Love) directed by Monia CHOKRI
- THE CLIMB directed by Michael Angelo COVINO
JURY SPECIAL MENTION
JEANNE (Joan of Arc) directed by Bruno DUMONT
NUESTRAS MADRES directed by César DÍAZ presented as part of LA SEMAINE DE LA CRITIQUE
The Caméra d'or Prize was awarded by Rithy Panh, President of the Caméra d'or Jury and by the actress Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi.
MANO A MANO directed by Louise COURVOISIER, CinéFabrique, France
HIẾU directed by Richard VAN, CalArts, USA
THIRD PRIZE EX-ÆQUO
- AMBIENCE directed by Wisam AL JAFARI, Dar al-Kalima University College of Arts and Culture, Palestine
- DUSZYCZKA (The Little Soul) directed by Barbara RUPIK, PWSFTviT, Poland
- The 2019 CST Artist-Technician Prize goes to Flora VOLPELIERE, as editor and Julien POUPARD, as set and lighting designer of Ladj LY's film LES MISÉRABLES.
- A Special Mention from the Jury goes to Claire MATHON, Director of Photography of the films ATLANTIQUE (Atlantics) and PORTRAIT DE LA JEUNE FILLE EN FEU (Portrait of Lady on Fire).
- The Jury also noted LEE Ha-jun’s outstanding work as Artistic Director of GISAENGCHUNG (Parasite)
For more arts and culture news and updates, follow Ahram Online Arts and Culture on Twitter at @AhramOnlineArts and on Facebook at Ahram Online: Arts & Culture