Consisting entirely of blind Egyptian female musicians, Al-Nour Wal Amal (Light and Hope) Chamber Orchestra will perform in the Cairo Opera House to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the establishment of its parent association.
Al-Nour Wal Amal association is an NGO for Egyptian blind girls, founded in 1954 by a group of volunteers led by the late Istiklal Radi, with the aim of educating the visually impaired girls and helping them integrate into society. The association provides care, free education, boarding facilities and vocational training for these women in order to develop their potential. Apart from the headquarters in Heliopolis and another branch in Nasr City, the association now also has branches in Mansoura, Tanta, Port Said, Beni Suef, and Assuit.
In 1961, seven years after the establishment of the association, Al-Nour Wal Amal Music Institute was founded by the late Samha El-Kholy, former dean of the Cairo Conservatory. Music curricula implemented in the association paralleled regular educational activities. The institute later gave birth to the now internationally applauded Al-Nour Wal Amal Chamber Orchestra, now with three generations of musicians.
Al-Nour Wal Amal Chamber Orchestra’s performed at the stage of Old Cairo Opera House and then continued performing across many venues in Egypt. The orchestra has also toured the world, performing in over 20 countries to wide acclaim from audiences and critics alike, having been described as “a human miracle,” “the fourth pyramid on the Giza plateau,” and “an orchestra with no peer in the world.”
Sunday, 9 March at 8pm
Small Hall, Cairo Opera House, Zamalek, Cairo.