Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure has said he will stay at Manchester City, having turned down an offer from Italian giants Inter Milan.
“I will definitely stay. The fans don’t have to be worried," the 32-year-old told the Manchester Evening News on Sunday.
The player’s contract is not due to end until 2017, seven years after his arrival from Barcelona 2017, and he has been assured he is a key figure in the club by owner Sheikh Mansour.
“My target this year is to try to do everything possible to make this team improve well and I am sure with my experience, maybe I hope, with the players coming in a couple of weeks, a couple of months, definitely it is going to be a strong City next year.”
His agent Dimitri Seluk announced he is staying last week after a contrary statement earlier.
The four-time African Footballer of the Year scored the only goal in the 2011 FA Cup final against Stoke City and made important contributions to City’s Premier League title wins in 2012 and 2014.
Toure also helped Ivory Coast win the Africa Cup of Nations this year — the first time since 1992 — and produced some fine displays with Manchester City this season, scoring ten goals in 28 Premier League appearances.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)