Last Update 22:17
Thursday, 21 November 2019

El-Said confirmed out of Egypt WC qualifier against Congo

Omar Zaazou , Thursday 5 Oct 2017
abdallah
A file photo of Egypt's Abdallah El Said looking dejected after the 2-1 Cup of Nations final loss to Cameroon (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2310
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2310

Egypt chief playmaker Abdallah El-Said has been confirmed out of the upcoming World Cup home qualifier against Congo at Alexandria’s Borg El-Arab Stadium on Sunday.

Having been initially doubtful for the crucial qualifier with a hamstring injury, El-Said is now certain to sit out the game against the African minnows after undergoing scans on Thursday.

Ahly holding midfielder Hossam Ashour, who missed out on his side’s 2-1 Champions League semi-final first-leg defeat at Tunisia’s Etoile du Sahel a few days ago due to injury, has taken part in Thursday’s training session.

Ittihad Jeddah winger Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ was also another player initially doubtful for the home fixture to have taken part in training, as he previously stated he is fully fit to play.

Should Uganda fail to beat Ghana in the other Group E game in Kampala on Saturday, Egypt would only need a home win over bottom side Congo to seal World Cup qualification for the first time since 1990.

Egypt are currently top of their group with nine points, two ahead of second-placed Uganda and four clear of Ghana. Congo have a single point.  

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

 
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.