Egyptian striker Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’ said he was delighted after returning to English football, where he played for several clubs during his nomadic career.
The towering frontman has on Thursday completed a move to Barnsley, penning a one-year contract with the Championship (second-division) side after being released by Cairo’s Zamalek, his boyhood club.
“The revolution happened in Egypt and football stopped, so I had to get myself back into Europe,” Mido said in an interview with Sky Sports.
“The Egyptian league stopped and sponsors were not paying clubs. I always wanted to get back to this country, it’s a very good chance to be back with Barnsley.
“Everyone knows that English have the best football and the best league,” he added when asked about what was so tempting about English football.
Mido’s latest spell with Zamalek was marred by fitness and disciplinary problems. The club decided to part ways with him after he was involved in a dispute with chairman Mamdouh Abbas.
The 29-year-old was once one of the English Premier League’s prominent strikers, having enjoyed a highly successful spell with Tottenham Hotspur. He then had less glamorous stints with Middlesbrough, Wigan Athletic and West Ham United.
Mido, who will experience second-division football for the first time in his career, said he is raring to go.
“I came here last week to meet Barnsley manager and I liked what he said to me, I liked his plans here. It’s a very tough competition (in the second division), much harder than people really think,” he added.
“It will be difficult but with the hard work here I think we can do well and get ourselves in a good position in the table.”
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)