Ahly and Zamalek gave mixed response to a decision by Egypt's Olympic coach Hany Ramzy not to allow any of his U-23 players to take part in Sunday's anticipated Cairo derby in the African Champions League.
Ramzy said earlier on Tuesday the bulk of his squad will remain in France, where the U-23 team are holding a training camp, few days before they make their first Olympic appearance in 20 years.
Only the over-age players in his squad - Ahly trio Mohamed Abou-Treika, Emad Meteb and Ahmed Fatho - will be allowed to feature in the game, he added.
"Such a decision could ignite tensions between the Ahly and Zamalek fans after their relationship improved in the wake of the Port Said tragedy," Zamalek coach Hassan Shehata said on the club's official website.
"The Zamalek fans will now feel that Ramzy is biased towards Ahly, who will have their players available for the game," the club icon added.
Ahly, however, said they did not demand that Ramzy release the U-23 players to take part in the derby.
"I understand Ramzy's stance. We were due to demand the return of our players when we heard that Zamalek would have their players back, but now there is no need for that," Ahly coach Hossam El-Badry said.
Ahly opened their Group B campaign of the Champions League with a 2-1 home victory over DR Congo's TP Mazembe while Cairo foes Zamalek slumped to a 3-2 loss at Ghana's Chelsea.
The Cairo derby will be played at the Military Academy Stadium behind closed doors due to lingering security concerns in Egypt.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)