Tweets saying that former Zamalek striker Ahmed Hossam 'Mido' is suffering a "serious illness" were a prank by a friend, said the towering player who stressed that he is safe and sound.
"I apologize for what was written on my account on Friday. I am ok and not suffering any diseases. It was an irresponsible behavior by one of my friends," Mido said on the micro-blogging website on Saturday.
"What my friend said is illogical as I have passed all the medical scans with Bransley this summer," he added.
On Friday night, Mido tweeted that he is suffering from a serious disease without disclosing any details, before denying the whole matter on Saturday.
The 29-year-old forward joined English Championship side Bransley after leaving Egyptian side Zamalek in the summer after falling out with the club’s chairman over unpaid salaries.
The nomadic striker, who is yet to play any league game with Barsnley due to a hamstring injury, was heavily criticised for looking overweight with his new club; the same problem that he faced in his homeland last year.
"For those who criticize me for failing to lose weight, they must know that I have been suffering from a serious illness for five years now," Mido's friend allegedly wrote via Twitter on Friday evening.
"I am receiving medical treatment and that is the main cause for being overweight.
"I am trying to challenge everything without getting people involved in my problems. The doctors of my former clubs know the truth.
"During my spell at Middleborough, the club's doctor advised me to undergo surgery and then to retire from football but I refused."
The former Middleborough, Wigan and West Ham started his career abroad at Belgium side Gent in 2000 before having spells with Ajax (the Netherlands), Marseille (France), Celta Vigo (Spain) and Tottenham (England).
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO Sports and Facebook AhramOnlineSports)