Zamalek coach Mido has reversed a sudden decision to resign from his post, he said on Saturday.
"Out of respect to the club and its fans, I'm announcing that I will not resign," the 31-year-old told Egyptian football website FilGoal.com.
"I will not leave unless the club decide I should. But I just want the fans to understand that I do not have the best players in the world and that I took charge of the team after the season had already started."
Earlier in the day, Mido said he would step down despite being given a vote of confidence by the club's board of directors following a 1-0 defeat by Ismaily in the Egyptian Premier League.
"I will today resign as Zamalek's coach," Mido, a fan favourite, said on his Twitter feed.
"Thanks to all the fans for their support, and thanks for the board of directors for standing by me."
Although Mido was credited with helping Zamalek play an attractive brand of attacking football shortly after replacing Helmi Toulan as the team's coach last January, their recent inconsistent displays cast doubts over their title credentials.
They lost twice in their last four games, including the defeat by Group B rivals Ismaily which jeopardized their chance of advancing to the final four-team mini-league phase.
They are two points behind second-placed Ismaily and five adrift of leaders Petrojet, who played a game more, with three matches remaining.
Mido's rotation policy was questioned by pundits who believed it had affected the harmony of the team. The White Knights have also lacked spark, with their forwards struggling to translate their domination into goals.
Their porous defence leaked 15 goals in 17 matches but they have the best offensive record with 27 goals.
Mido, who came through the youth ranks of Zamalek before playing for a host of European clubs including Tottenham Hotspur and AS Roma, is burdened with ending the team's 10-year league drought.
He enjoys overwhelming support among the White Knight's die-hard supporters.