Egypt and Zamalek winger Shikabala has ruled out reports linking him with a move to Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Shabab on a free transfer when his contract expires next January.
“I’m committed to my deal with Zamalek and I’m also looking forward to extending it during the coming period,” the in-form Shikabala, who is the Egyptian Premier League’s top scorer with 13 goals, said on the club’s official website on Friday.
“I ask Zamalek’s supporters not to pay attention to those rumors,” he added.
Press reports said earlier in the day that Shikabala, whose future with Zamalek remains under scrutiny, has already put pen-to-paper on a one-and-a-half year contract with Al-Shabab worth three millions Euros.
The 25-year-old is free to negotiate a move away from the club according to FIFA regulations, given that he only has six months to run on his current deal with Zamalek.
The Cairo giants, who are suffering from persistent financial problems, are struggling to match his demands for a new contract.
Earlier this week, French side Saint Etienne and English clubs Newcastle, Blackburn and Birmingham have reportedly expressed their interest in signing Shikabala, whose only European experience was with Greek outfit PAOK from 2004 to 2006.