Last Update 10:59
Wednesday, 23 May 2018

Zamalek's Ultras White Knights retract decision to attend Union Douala match

Ahly is to host Angola's Recreativo do Libolo in Alexandria, while Zamalek take on Cameroon's Union Douala in Cairo in the second leg of Round 32 of the African Champions League

Ahram Online , Saturday 19 Mar 2016
fans of Egypt
File Photo: Riot police keep watch as fans of Egypt's Zamalek light flares during their African Champions League (CAF) soccer match against Ghana's Berekum Chelsea at the Military Stadium in Cairo September 1, 2012 (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1319
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1319

Zamalek hardcore fans 'Ultras White Knights' retracted their decision to attend Saturday's African Champions League game at Cairo's Petrosport Stadium to avoid possible confrontation with security forces.

"We decided to cancel the scheduled gatherings to attend the Union Douala match to avoid any new bloody confrontation with security forces," Ultras White Knights said in a statement released via their official Facebook page Saturday.

The die-hard fans of Cairo giants Ahly and Zamalek vowed to attend Saturday's African Champions League games in Alexandria and Cairo respectively despite repeated warnings from the interior ministry.

With the death of more than 20 Zamalek supporters last year still fresh in memory, there were widespread worries over another deadly stand-off when Ahly host Angola's Recreativo do Libolo in Alexandria and Zamalek take on Cameroon's Union Douala in Cairo in the second leg of Round 32 of the prestigious tournament.

Egyptian Premier League games are already played behind closed doors, but such crowd bans are not permitted by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

Consequently, Ahly and Zamalek said the few hundred who would be allowed to attend their respective matches Saturday must be general assembly members, drawing sharp rebuke from Ultras Ahlawy and Ultras White Knights fan groups.

"We offered many solutions through the past three years but nobody cares," Saturday's statement added.

Security officials are playing it safe by imposing a crowd ban in domestic matches, which was re-enforced after more than 20 Zamalek supporters died in a stampede after being tear-gassed by police forces while attempting to enter Cairo's Air Defence Stadium before a league game on 8 February 2015.

Since then, the fans of Ahly and Zamalek have consistently pressed for the ban to be lifted, but in vain.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.