Last Update 9:23
Monday, 18 June 2018

Champions Ahly held to surprise draw in Egyptian league opener

Ahram Online , Sunday 10 Sep 2017
Ahly v El-Geish
File photo of an Egyptian Premier League game between Ahly and Talae El-Geish (Ahram)
Views: 1470
Views: 1470

Defending champions Ahly had to settle for a surprise 1-1 draw with Talae El-Geish in their opening Egyptian Premier League game on Sunday after some controversial refereeing decisions.

El-Geish stunned Ahly when defender Assem Salah converted from the spot nine minutes before the break, sparking furious protests from Ahly players and coach Hossam El-Badry who argued that the penalty should not have been awarded.

The Red Devils, champions for the past two seasons, were denied a clear penalty at the other end shortly after but playmaker Ahmed El-Sheikh, back to the club after a one-year loan spell with Maqassa, curled home a free kick in the 57th minute to equalise.

Ahly pressed forward in the dying stages but squandered a couple of clear-cut chances to settle for a disappointing draw, just like arch foes and perennial rivals Zamalek who were also held to a 1-1 draw with El-Entag El-Harby on Saturday.

First scare

Moroccan striker Walid Azaro was the only summer signing to be included in the starting line-up but was guilty of wasting some easy chances.

Although El-Geish had the first scare when forward Salah Amin blasted high over with the goal at his mercy after being found unmarked at the far post on five minutes, Ahly quickly asserted their control but goal-scoring chances were at a premium.

Left-back Hussein El-Sayed went the closest for Ahly when his angled low shot from inside the area was superbly saved by the keeper.

Ahly were taken by surprise on 36 minutes when Assem Salah converted a penalty awarded for an alleged handball on central midfielder Amr El-Sulaya, although the ball appeared to strike his stomach rather than his hand.

Ahly players were further incensed when playmaker Abdallah El-Said was denied a clear penalty when he was felled by El-Geish goalkeeper Mohamed Bassam after skipping past him.

El-Sheikh curled a long-range free kick over the wall and past the poorly-positioned keeper to restore parity on 57 minutes.

Ahly threw men forward and new signings Eslam Mohareb and youngsters Ahmed Hamdi and Ahmed Rayyan were introduced in the latter stages but El-Geish held firm.

Azaro almost snatched a valuable win with seven minutes remaining but his diving near-post header went high over following a pinpoint cross from the left.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sportsand on Facebook atAhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:


Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.

© 2010 Ahram Online.