Last Update 23:6
Monday, 27 January 2020

Egyptian, international football legends to play friendly, says former Egypt striker Mido

Ahmed Abd El Rasoul, Tuesday 14 Aug 2018
Ahmed Hossam "Mido" (Al-Ahram)
Ahmed Hossam "Mido" (Al-Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3864
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3864

Egyptian and international football legends will meet in a friendly match on 28 October in Egypt, amid the presence of 70,000 supporters, former Pharoahs striker Ahmed “Mido” Hossam said on Tuesday, adding that he would play in the match.

"Egypt is reviving. Fans will return to the stands as soon as authorities approve a match between world and Egyptian national team football legends amid the presence of all world football stars," Mido said via Twitter.

Football fans have been banned from domestic league games in Egypt since February 2012, when 72 Ahly supporters were killed at a regular season game in Port Said stadium.

Earlier in August, Egyptian clubs agreed in a meeting with the sports minister and football association officials on allowing 5,000 fans to attend domestic league matches starting 1 September, with the agreement subject to the approval of the authorities.

"The match will be played on 28 October and 70,000 supporters will be attending on the stands," added the former Zamalek player and coach.

The 35-year-old played for a host of European clubs including Ajax, Celta Vigo, Marseille, Roma, Tottenham and West Ham, before hanging up his boots in 2013.

The crowd ban was briefly lifted in January 2015 but immediately reimposed after 20 Zamalek fans died in a stampede when police used tear gas to disperse crowds lined up to attend a regular league game against Enppi.

The Egyptian league season 2018/2019 started two weeks ago without fans, marking the fifth consecutive league to be played behind closed doors.

"On 28 October, myself, Hazem Emam, Hossam Hassan, Ibrahim Hassan, Hany Ramzy, Essam El-Hadary, Mohamed Barakat, Wael Gomaa, Ahmed Hassan, Abdel-Zaher El-Saka, Yasser Radwan, Mohamed Emara, Mohamed Shawky and Abdel-Satar Sabry will all play against Luis Figo, Francesco Totti, Drogba, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ballack and other football stars," Mido explained.

Over the past five years, authorities have permitted a limited number of fans to attend African championship games and national team matches, as per FIFA rules.

Egypt, who are seven-time African champions, made their first World Cup appearance since 1990 this summer in Russia, but they had their hopes shattered, losing all three group-stage games.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.