Ahly coach Manuel Jose believes there is no need for squad reinforcements during the January transfer window, football director Sayed Abdel-Hafiz said on Friday.
The Egyptian Premier League holders have spent big last summer to bolster their squad, bringing in a number of high-profile players including attacking midfielders Abdallah El-Saied and Walid Soliman, who joined from Ismaily and ENPPI respectively.
Zamalek, Ahly’s arch-rivals, have been active so far in January, signing three new players in midfield trio Nour El-Sayed, Islam Awad and Cameroonian Alexis Mendomo.
“Mr. Jose does not want to buy more players after the loan signing of Sekka El-Hadid forward Ahmed Farag,” Abdel-Hafiz, who played under the guidance of Jose in the early 2000s, told Egyptian radio.
“We never opened talks with (Sudan-based striker Edward Sadomba) to sign him,” he added, refuting recent reports that suggested Ahly were targeting the Zimbabwean, who plays for Al-Hilal.
Ahly, who are chasing an eighth consecutive league triumph, are second in the league table with 33 points, one behind surprise leaders Harras El-Hodoud. Zamalek lie third on 32 points.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online sports on Twitter: @AO_Sports)