The Egyptian Minister of Youth and Sports Ashraf Sobhi said there's no need to postpone football activities in Egypt over fears of the spread of coronavirus.
Many international sports events have been affected by the spread of coronavirus. They are either put off or held in the absence of fans
"We didn't make any decisions yet as to the effect of coronavirus on local football games, because the epidemic is not widespread in Egypt," Sobhi told ON Sport FM radio station.
"So there's no need to call off or postpone any local activities. We are keeping an eye on developments regarding the virus in Egypt, and so far it is safe," he added.
Ahly, Zamalek, and Masry are going to play abroad in the next three days.
Zamalek will face Esperance in the second-leg quarterfinal of the African Champions League on Friday in Tunisia, where the country's first coronavirus case was reported three days ago.
Asked about the Egyptian fans in Tunisia Sobhi said, "we are in contact with the Tunisian Ministry of Sports to make sure that our fans will attend the game. There is no need to worry because the football fans in attendance of the game are from the Egyptian community in Tunisia."
"We are following closely on Ahly and Masry players in South Africa and Morocco to make sure everyone is safe," he added.
On the controversy that arose after the Egyptian Football Association sanctioned Ahly and Zamalek for as a result of the events that followed their game in the Egypt Super Cup final, held at the UAE, and Zamalek's withdrawal from their game against Ahly in the Egyptian Premier League, Sobhi said, "the association dealt successfully with the local Super Cup and the Cairo derby. Its decisions reflected the decisiveness that was necessary at the time."
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)