Security withdraws approval of Ahly friendlies
Egypt's Interior Ministry reverse their decision Thursday to allow the Reds to play two games in preparation for African Champions League match as Cairo's Ultras come together in march demanding 'martyrs' rights'
Eslam Omar, Thursday 15 Mar 2012
File photo: Egyptian fans rush into the field following Al-Ahly club soccer match against Al-Masry club at the soccer stadium in Port Said (Photo: AP)
Cairo’s security headquarters have decided to withdraw their approval granting Ahly football club permission to play friendly games this week due to security concerns, despite previously permitting the matches.
“Ahly board have received a letter from authorities Thursday morning demanding that we cancel the two friendlies,” reads a statement on the club’s official website.
The Reds were supposed to play Dakhleya Thursday and Wadi Degla Monday.
The Egyptian Interior Ministry gave the Cairo giants the green light Wednesday to play Dakhleya before they reversed their decision.
The Egyptian champions are preparing for their first leg match against Ethiopian Coffee in the CAF Champions League round of 32 on 25 March.
Ahly’s archrivals, Zamalek, who are preparing for Ivory Coast's Africa Sports match, also had two recent friendlies called off after failing to get security approval from the authorities.
All domestic football activities have been suspended since 1 February when more than 70 Ahly fans were killed in post-match clashes following a Premier League game in the coastal city of Port Said.
Meanwhile, football fans Ahly’s Ultras Ahlawy and Zamalek’s Ultras White Knights have joined together in a march Thursday morning demanding justice following the February football disaster.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO Sports)