An Egyptian Premier League game scheduled for Saturday has been postponed after 19 coronavirus cases were detected at one of the two clubs set to meet, with the country's football association (EFA) issuing a stern warning against what it called "medical negligence".
El-Entag El-Harby's game against FC Masr, which was due to be played two days after the league's scheduled restart on Thursday, will be held at a later date after the former club detected the coronavirus cases last month.
Players and non-playing staff were infected after El-Entag held a training camp in the Red Sea city of Sharm El-Sheikh.
The EFA said the infections were a mere exception among Premier League sides but that clubs should bear more responsibility to avoid similar fates.
"We cannot expect any similar outbreaks at other clubs because El-Entag's case has its own circumstances and was dealt with in this context," the EFA said in a statement.
"However, the discovery of such a big number of infections at one club is considered medical negligence … responsibility lies on every club to implement all precautionary measures to ensure the safety of everyone.
"Otherwise, clubs could be subject to severe sanctions, like what happened in other countries that witnessed similar outbreaks."
All teams were obliged to run three rounds of PCR tests before the resumption of the Premier League. The domestic competition will restart on Thursday after a five-month hiatus due to the pandemic.
Almost three dozen cases were discovered at several clubs, although all of the infected members only had mild symptoms.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)