Zamaleh goalkeeper Abdel-Wahed El-Sayed announced Sunday that he is willing to extend his stay with the White Castles, denying any problem between him and the board.
“I just asked for my last year’s salary because I am aware of the hard circumstances the country undergoing. I even said to the board I don’t want to be paid in advance, because I know that I will eventually receive my benefits,” the 36-year-old keeper said in a video interview with the club’s official website.
The football industry in Egypt is suffering a financial crisis since the suspension of all domestic competition following the Port Said disaster on 1 February that left more than 70 dead and many more injured after mysterious clashes between Ahly and Masry fans at the end of a league match.
Reports claimed that there will be no renewal for El-Sayed because of complications between the player and the club, especially after a talented young keeper from Masry, Ahmed El-Shennawy, joined on a one-year loan.
“El-Shennawy is a boost to any club and to the Egyptian football as a whole. I really hope that Zamalek landed him permanently. Also, we cannot neglect the second keeper, Mahmoud Abdel-Rehim ‘Gennesh,’ who is also very responsible,” El-Sayed added.
The solid net guard also spoke about the Cairo giants preparations for Ghana’s Chelsea match in the group stage of the CAF Champions League in which they also drawn with rivals Ahly and DR Congo’s TP Mazembe
“We are in a really tough group but we are able to qualify to make a better season,” he concluded.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)