Cairo giants Ahly management hails Egypt's judiciary after Saturday's long-anticipated verdict in the Port Said football match trial, insisting the ruling was 'just.'
Egypt’s court slammed 21 of the defendents with death sentences for the killing of 71 Ahly fans during a match in the Port Said stadium between Ahly and Masry on 1 February 2012.
A verdict against the remaining 52 defendants, accused of attacking and killing Ahly fans, is adjourned to 9 March.
"The court's verdict was just and is considered a kind of ease to victims' families and club fans," Ahly board said in a statement in the club's official website.
"We did our best during the whole last year to gather the evidence under the guidance of a high-profile law team in a bid to bring justice to the souls of our victims."
At the end of the statement, Ahly offered its condolences to the families of Port Said football victims, insisting that it will not forget those who sacrificed their lives for the club.
Thousands of Ahly Ultras break out into wild celebrations with fireworks and chanting after hearing the court decisions in Ahly Club grounds in Zamalek, Cairo early Saturday.
Ahly Ultras - hardcore supporters of the club - chanted against fans of Port Said and against former defence minister Mohamed Hussain Tantawi, who they hold partially responsible for the killings.
Ultras Ahlawy also praised Saturday's verdict saying that they are still expecting more justice for those colleagues who died in Port Said massacre.
"Today was the start of justice but not in its entirety," the hardcore fans of Ahly said via a statement on its official Facebook page.
"All the group members left the Ahly Club now. Glory to all martyrs," the statement added.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)