Last Update 21:43
Monday, 18 November 2019

Conflicting statements by EFA officials leave the future of Egyptian football hazy

As fans react heatedly to the trial of the country's worst-ever football disaster, Egyptian Football Association officials reveal the board will meet, but leave the future of the premier league hazy

Ahmed Abd El Rasoul , Saturday 9 Mar 2013
EFA
Smoke and fire rises from the Egyptian Football Association (Photo: Karim Hafez)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1310
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1310

Confusion abounds over the continuity of Egyptian football activities after the angry reaction of Ahly hardcore fans Ultras Ahlawy following Saturday's verdict on deadly Port Said football match.

Egyptian football officials made conflicting statements that put the future of domestic activities in doubt.

Egyptian Football Association (EFA) spokesman Azmy Megahed told Ahram Sports the football activities could be halted indefinitely, but vice president Hassan Farid appeared later to deny that to other media sources, insisting that stopping football will not be discussed at all.

Egypt’s court confirmed the death sentences of 21 defendants that were first announced on 26 January for the killing of 72 Ahly fans during the Masry v Ahly match in the Port Said stadium on 1 February 2012.

The court also sentenced two senior police officers to jail for 15 years, five more people to life in jail and acquitted 28. The remainder of the 73 defendants received shorter jail sentences for their role in the riot.

The Police Club building in Gezira, close to the Ahly Club, as well as the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) building, are currently on fire after being ransacked by hundreds of Ultras Ahlawy.

The Ultras are angry that only two of the police officers were convicted, while seven were acquitted in the case.

"EFA board members will hold a meeting later today to discuss the attack on the association building and the future of Egyptian football," EFA media director and spokesman Azmi Megahed tells Ahram Sport.

"We will discuss some proposals that call for halting all football activities to avoid a repeat of the Port Said disaster," Megahed adds.

Conversely, vice president Hassan Farid told Al-Ahram Arabic news site that "Stopping Egyptian football will not be discussed at all during the meeting."

All football activities in Egypt were suspended for roughly a year since February's Port Said stadium disaster.

The EFA decided to resume Egyptian Premier League earlier in February 2013, providing that matches will be played behind closed doors in the first half of the season.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sportsand on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.