Egypt intend to add five or six players to their current roster before meeting Ghana in their last World Cup qualifier, experimenting with some new faces after reaching next year's Russia finals with one match to spare in Group E, their assistant coach said on Wednesday.
Bassem Morsi is one of the players who are expected to be recalled, with the Zamalek striker falling out of favour for leaving the stadium when he was substituted during a vital World Cup qualifier at home to Ghana in November 2016, Osama Nabih told an Egyptian radio station.
The 25-year-old was coach Hector Cuper's first choice frontman before his tantrum incurred the wrath of the Argentinean boss, who has since looked in vain for reliable replacements.
Nabih also revealed that Ahly winger Walid Soliman and Etoile du Sahel striker Amr Marei are in contention to join the Pharaohs' upcoming training camp.
Walid Soliman was also snubbed by Cuper after expressing his displeasure over Cuper's decision not to call him up for Egypt's squad for a friendly game late last year.
Amr Marei was named in Egypt's squad several times but he was hardly given playing time. Nabih said the player is likely to be part of Egypt's squad in the coming period, given his fine performances with Tunisia's Etoile du Sahel.
"The previous period was so critical and there was no room to call up any new players," Nabih added.
"Bassem Morsi, Walid Soliman and Amr Marei are among the candidates to rejoin Egypt's squad.
"The technical staff is considering to call up five or six new players in the coming period."
Egypt reached the World Cup for the first time since 1990 after defeating Congo 2-1 in a dramatic World Cup qualifier on Sunday.
They are set to play a friendly in their upcoming training camp ahead of a meeting with Ghana away from home on the final day of the qualifiers, scheduled to take place in Kumasi on 6 November.
Egypt are on top of Group E with 12 points, four ahead of second-placed Uganda with just one match remaining.