Bob Bradley will not resign as Egypt’s coach despite Port Said’s football riots, which left 74 dead during an Egyptian Premier League game between Masry and Ahly on Wednesday.
Immediately after the final whistle, thousands of alleged Masry fans stormed the pitch, running the length of it to assault the visiting Ahly supporters with deadly consequences that sent shockwaves across Egypt.
Many high-profile players, including Ahly duo Mohamed Abou-Treika and Mohamed Barakat, said they would hang up their boots while the Red Devils’ coach Manuel Jose handed in his resignation before the club’s board persuaded him to change his mind.
“I’m shocked that those youths were killed because of a football game. Football should never lead to killing or crime,” said Bradley, who succeeded Hassan Shehata as Egypt’s coach in September last year. “I hope all Egyptians will unite for the sake of a better future for the country. I’m staying, I will not leave.”
Bradley was present at Cairo Stadium to watch Zamalek’s league game against Ismaily, a few minutes following the end of the Masry-Ahly game. The Zamalek match was called off at halftime upon the request of the White Knights and Ismaily, who said they could not carry on after learning of the Port Said tragedy.
Bradley will make his competitive debut as Egypt boss facing Central Africa in Egypt’s opening African Cup of Nations qualifier on 29 February.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO_Sports)