Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said on Friday that nobody has contacted the English Premier League club yet regarding Mohamed Salah’s potential participation in the 2020 Olympics.
Klopp said during a press conference ahead of a Premier League game against Norwich City that the discussion over the winger’s participation on Egypt's Olympic team is "just in the media."
"We are completely clear about what we want, but we need more information: how will it look, when will the preparation start, all that stuff," Klopp said.
"No decision yet, but we will see," he added.
Last month, Egyptian U-23 national team coach Shawky Gharib said it was up to Salah whether he participates in the 2020 Olympics or not.
Gharib said then that he would talk to the 27-year-old about joining the squad for the Olympics.
"We have to send a preliminary list of 50 players. Salah will be the first on the list as an official call-up," he said.
Olympics regulations for football tournaments state that each team is allowed to include three over-age players, while the rest of the players must be under 23 years old.
FIFA has previously acknowledged that clubs are not obliged to release over-age players for the games in Tokyo.
"Do I want to lose a player in pre-season? Of course not. That's clear," Klopp said.
"But we have to consider different things. I will speak with Mo and all that stuff."
The Olympics are scheduled for late July, when Liverpool will be busy preparing for the new season.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)