Last Update 16:0
Monday, 21 January 2019

CAF rejects Malawi request to move Nations Cup qualifier from Guinea

Reuters , Wednesday 23 Mar 2016
Ebola
A French Red Cross team picks up a suspected Ebola case from the centre of Forecariah January 30, 2015 (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1072
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1072

A request to move an African Nations Cup qualifier from Guinea, where two new cases of Ebola have been confirmed, has been rejected by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), the ruling body said on Wednesday.

Malawi had asked for their Group L qualifier, set for Conakry on Friday, to be switched after Guinea last week said two people had tested positive for the Ebola virus.

Guinea had previously been declared free of Ebola and a ban on international football being hosted in the country was lifted by CAF in January.

"Following the exchange of correspondences on the subject between the CAF Secretariat and the World Health Organisation (WHO), the latter said the new cases were discovered in the Guinean forest region of Nzerekore, adding there is no travel ban imposed on Guinea by the organisation, thus posing no threat on the hosting of a football match in Conakry," CAF said in a statement.

Friday's game will be Guinea's first international at home since August 2014. In between, they were forced to host their games in Casablanca, Morocco.

The world's worst recorded Ebola epidemic is believed to have started in Guinea and killed about 2,500 people by December last year, at which point the World Health Organization (WHO) said the virus was no longer being actively transmitted.

More than 11,300 people have died since the outbreak began in 2013, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.