Last Update 10:14
Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Scolari denies rift with Barcelona target Paulinho

Reuters , Sunday 16 Jul 2017
Scolari
FILE PHOTO - Guangzhou Evergrande's head coach Luiz Felipe Scolari looks at his players before their Club World Cup third-place soccer match against Japan's Sanfrecce Hiroshima in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, Japan, December 20, 2015 Reuters
Share/Bookmark
Views: 483
Share/Bookmark
Views: 483

Luiz Felipe Scolari has denied reports of a rift between himself and Guangzhou Evergrande's Paulinho as Spanish media continue to question the midfielder's future with the Chinese Super League club.
The 28-year-old has been the subject of several unsuccessful bids by Barcelona following a strong run of form for both his club and Brazil.

Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo reported that Scolari had removed Paulinho from training earlier in the week due to a lack of focus in light of Barcelona's attempts to buy him, but the World Cup-winning coach said the reports were incorrect.

"Paulinho has been training throughout the whole week and you saw how he played in today's game too," said Scolari after Guangzhou's 2-1 win over Shandong Luneng in the Chinese Super League on Saturday.

"I saw the report, it said I kicked Paulinho out of the training session. Actually, I sent Paulinho, Yu Hanchao and Li Xuepeng out to rest, but they only saw Paulinho.

"If they don't think Paulinho is a professional player and that he would treat the game with such a negative attitude, they are beyond naive."

Paulinho joined Guangzhou from Tottenham Hotspur in June 2015, helping the club to the Asian Champions League and two Chinese Super League titles.

His form for Guangzhou saw him recalled to the Brazil national team and he scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win over Uruguay in March.

Guangzhou chairman Xu Jiayin has already said he was not for sale this season.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.