Last Update 23:1
Saturday, 19 August 2017

Record Chelsea signing Morata not ready to start opener: Conte

Reuters , Friday 11 Aug 2017
Alvaro Morata
Chelsea's new signing Alvaro Morata (R) (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 336
Share/Bookmark
Views: 336

Chelsea's record signing Alvaro Morata is unlikely to start the champions' Premier League opener against Burnley on Saturday because he has not adjusted to their style, Blues manager Antonio Conte said on Friday.

Chelsea paid what British media said was an initial 58 million pounds ($75 million) for the former Real Madrid striker as replacement for out-of-favour Diego Costa, who has been told he can leave the club.

Last week, Morata came on as a 74th-minute substitute for Michy Batshuayi in the Community Shield penalty shootout defeat to Arsenal at Wembley and Conte said the 24-year-old is still not ready.

"Alvaro is working well but he needs time to understand and adapt to our style of football, above all because he's a striker. He is starting to understand what I want from him during games," Conte said.

The Italian said that another of his signings, Antonio Rudiger, "could start" against Burnley in place of the suspended Victor Moses.

"He's a good player, strong, good personality, technique," Conte said.

Pedro is also unavailable after suffering an ankle injury against Arsenal.

Conte said he believed Chelsea, who have also signed midfielder Tiemoue Bakayako from Monaco, are a stronger side than last season.

"I am pleased because we are working well with this team and this group of players. I think we are better than last season.

"At the start of this season it's simple to tell that in this league there are six top teams who should be fighting for the title. But you know very well that there are surprises."

Conte said there was "no news" on Costa, who is expected to leave in the transfer window.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

 
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.