Last Update 22:39
Friday, 23 October 2020

Liverpool, Premier League agree compensation in 'tapping up' case

Reuters , Thursday 21 Sep 2017
Liverpool
Leicester City's Islam Slimani scores their second goal (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1239
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1239

Liverpool and the Premier League said they have agreed on a compensation settlement with the family of an unnamed 13-year-old victim to finally resolve the 'tapping up' scandal.

Liverpool were fined 100,000 pounds ($135,040) and banned from signing academy players from the English league teams in April after breaching rules governing the transfer of youth players.

A joint statement from the club and the Premier League confirmed a deal had been reached with the 13-year-old involved to continue his current school and join another academy.

"The Premier League and Liverpool FC have reached a constructive agreement regarding the future education of a young player who was unable to register with the club," the statement said.

"Under the terms of the agreement, the player will be able to continue his education at his current school.

"He will also be free to join another club in the academy system without that club being required to pay compensation, which has been settled with his former club, Stoke City FC."

A league investigation found Liverpool guilty of offering prohibited inducements in an attempt to recruit a schoolboy from Stoke City.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.