Last Update 22:19
Tuesday, 25 February 2020

Suspect in Dortmund bombing says he didn't intend injuries

AP , Monday 8 Jan 2018
 Dortmund
The German-Russian suspect, known as Sergei W, who is accused of having carried out a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund football team's bus, arrives for his trial on January 08, 2018 at the district courthouse in Dortmund, western Germany. The suspect was arrested 10 days after he allegedly set off three explosive devices hidden in a hedge as the bus was leaving the team hotel for a Champions League match in an elaborate bid to make a fortune on the stock market. (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1051
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1051

The suspect in last year's bombing of the Borussia Dortmund soccer team's bus testified Monday that he carried out the attack but didn't intend to kill or hurt anyone.

The 28-year-old suspect, identified only as Sergej W. in line with German privacy rules, is charged with 28 counts of attempted murder, two counts of bodily harm and setting off an explosion. The trial opened last month.

Dortmund defender Marc Bartra and a police officer were injured when three explosions hit the bus as it left a hotel in the city for a Champions League game on April 11.

The defendant testified Monday that he had sought to fake an attack and had designed the explosives in such a way ''that no harm to people could be expected,'' news agency dpa reported. ''I deeply regret my behavior,'' he said.

Prosecutors allege that Sergej W. took out a loan to place a bet that Borussia Dortmund's shares would drop in value, then bombed the bus and tried to disguise the attack as Islamic terrorism. Dortmund is the only German club whose shares are listed on the stock exchange.

The suspect was arrested 10 days after the attack.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.