Last Update 20:44
Wednesday, 14 November 2018

German FA boss says should have supported Ozil more

Reuters , Sunday 19 Aug 2018
Mesut Ozil
Mesut Ozil of Arsenal celebrates after scoring during the International Champions Cup football match between Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain in Singapore on July 28, 2018 (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 861
Share/Bookmark
Views: 861

German Football Association (DFB) President Reinhard Grindel said on Sunday he should have been more supportive of Mesut Ozil when the midfielder was the target of "racist attacks".

Ozil, 29, announced his international retirement last month after Germany crashed out of the World Cup. He said he had faced "racism and disrespect" because of his Turkish roots.

Ozil, who had been a key member of the 2014 World Cup-winning side, had faced a barrage of criticism for having his photograph taken with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan in May and for his performances at the World Cup in Russia.

In his resignation statement last month, Ozil, who has Turkish roots, also accused the DFB and Grindel of failing to back him in the row over the photo.

In an interview with Bild newspaper on Sunday, Grindel said he should have handled things differently.

"I should have positioned myself more clearly given the racist attacks from some corners and I should have put myself in front of Mesut Ozil," Grindel said.

"Such attacks are unacceptable. I should have found clear words."

Ozil had been jeered in Germany's last warm-up games before the World Cup and many German fans had called for him to be dropped from the squad over the photo.

"I am sorry he feels let down by the DFB," Grindel added.

Ozil was made one of the scapegoats for Germany's earliest exit at a World Cup for 80 years in Russia, the side failing to get out of the group stage despite being the defending champions.

Grindel, however, said he had never blamed Ozil for that failure.

"It was always clear for me that we win together and we lose together. It would be absurd to blame one single player for our elimination," the 56-year-old, who took over the DFB in 2016, said.

He also ruled out resigning over the affair, saying he felt "strong backing from regional federations and the Bundesliga".

Grindel said there had been no discussion between Ozil and national coach Joachim Loew and that any possible return to the team would need to be discussed among the board and the coach.

The DFB president also said he would work towards bridging the gap that has opened up in recent months between fans and the national team.

Some of the options could include scheduling more open training sessions and lowering ticket prices, while the overall marketing concept of the team would also be reviewed. "We want to come close again with the fans," he said.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.