Last Update 20:44
Thursday, 15 November 2018

France keeper Lloris gets 20-month ban for drink-driving

AFP, Wednesday 12 Sep 2018
Lloris
France's goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, holding the trophy during a ceremony to celebrate the 2018 World Cup victory, is now facing a drink-driving charge in London. (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 735
Share/Bookmark
Views: 735

France's World Cup-winning captain Hugo Lloris has been banned from driving for 20 months and fined after pleading guilty to a charge of drink driving, British media reported on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper admitted being more than twice above the drink-drive limit of 35 micrograms when he was stopped by police in central London last month.

Lloris, who won the World Cup with France in July, was fined 50,000 pounds at Westminster Magistrates' court.

Prosecutor Henry Fitch said police found Lloris in an unmarked car driving at 15mph in a 30mph zone.

The court heard that Lloris veered his car "towards parked vehicles" before correcting himself and went through a red light.

David Sonn, defending, said the "spectacular fall from grace" was not lost on Lloris.

"On July 15 he was arguably the proudest man on the planet (having captained France to a World Cup triumph)," Sonn was quoted as saying by the BBC.

"Just 40 days later, he was arrested. He experienced the indignity of being handcuffed and put in a police station overnight."

Magistrate Amanda Barron said it was "pure luck" that Lloris did not cause damage to other vehicles or pedestrians.

Joshua Harris, director of campaigns for British road safety charity Brake, said it was disappointing to see a role model such as Lloris admitting to breaking the law by drink driving.

"We expect the captain of Tottenham Hotspur and his national team to be setting a good example, not flouting the law in such a manner," Harris said in a statement.

"This kind of dangerous behaviour is selfish, illegal and puts lives at risk."

Lloris, who joined Spurs from Olympique Lyonnais in 2012, apologised for the incident after he was charged by the Metropolitan Police last month.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.