Last Update 23:26
Tuesday, 15 October 2019

Liverpool marks 30 years since Hillsborough disaster

AFP , Monday 15 Apr 2019
Liverpool
People touch the Hillsborough Memorial Monument as Liverpool observes a minute's silence on the 30th anniversary of the stadium disaster that took the lives of 96 Reds fans (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 378
Share/Bookmark
Views: 378
 
The English city of Liverpool fell silent on Monday to mark the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough football stadium disaster, which claimed the lives of 96 Reds supporters.
 
Mourners lit a lantern for each of the fans who were crushed to death at the FA Cup semi-final held at the stadium in Sheffield on April 15, 1989.
 
Banners spelling out the letters "never forgotten" were hung from the city's St George's Hall, above the lanterns, flowers and pictures of the victims.
 
"The support this city, and the people of Liverpool have shown us, all of us families has been tremendous," said Louise Brookes, whose brother Andrew died in the disaster.
 
"They've never let us down. They've never failed us. They continue to support us."
 
Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson, who laid a wreath on behalf of the people of the city, said it was "a day for the people to remember and support the families.
 
"For 30 years the city is united behind their families and gave them as much support as they possibly could do, emotionally and standing shoulder to shoulder with them. That's all we can do."
 
The city fell silent at 3.06pm (1406 GMT), the time the match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest was stopped, in honour of the victims, while flags on civil buildings were flown at half mast.
 
Fans also placed flowers and balloons at the memorial at Liverpool's Anfield Stadium.
 
The police commander at the disaster faces a retrial after a jury earlier this month failed to reach a verdict over his role in the deaths.
 
Dozens of relatives of the victims who had gathered in Liverpool -- 25 miles (40 kilometres) away -- gasped as the jury foreman told the court they could not reach a unanimous decision on charges of gross negligence manslaughter against retired chief superintendent David Duckenfield.
 
The crush was Britain's worst sports stadium tragedy.
 
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.