Last Update 23:15
Wednesday, 21 August 2019

Man City launch legal bid to stop potential Champions League ban: reports

AFP , Thursday 6 Jun 2019
Man City
Man City launch legal bid to stop potential Champions League ban (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2016
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2016

Manchester City have launched a legal bid to stop UEFA banning them from the Champions League over alleged financial misconduct, according to British media reports on Thursday.

City, who retained the Premier League title this season, are in danger of being kicked out of future editions of the Champions League after UEFA probed reported Financial Fair Play breaches.

The investigation was triggered by European football's governing body in March after claims City, who have Abu Dhabi-based owners, hid revenue from overvalued commercial deals in order to meet the UEFA spending guidelines.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the Premier League champions have now approached the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport ahead of an imminent sentencing decision from UEFA Club Financial Control Body's (CFCB) adjudicatory chamber.

It is believed the adjudicatory chamber is unlikely to rule against the conclusions of chief investigator Yves Leterme, who signed over his probe into an alleged payments deception two weeks ago and is thought to have recommended City should be banned from the Champions League.

That would leave Pep Guardiola's side out of Europe's elite club competition, potentially for the 2020-21 campaign.

But City are believed to be challenging UEFA's right to send the case to their adjudicatory chamber and its competence to sit in judgement on the club at all.

City did not respond to a request for comment, but the club have previously said the referral to the judicial branch "ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City".

City, who added the FA Cup and League Cup this season for an unprecedented domestic treble, also said the allegations of wrongdoing were "entirely false" and that there is "comprehensive proof" otherwise.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.