Last Update 20:42
Wednesday, 21 August 2019

Two charged over security incident linked to Arsenal duo

AFP , Sunday 11 Aug 2019
Arsenal
Ozil and Kolasinac miss Arsenal's trip to Newcastle over security concerns as police charge two men AFP
Share/Bookmark
Views: 901
Share/Bookmark
Views: 901

Two men will appear in court next month charged with a public order offence, police confirmed Sunday, in connection with two Arsenal footballers previously targeted in an attack.

Arsenal said Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac would not play in Sunday's opening English Premier League fixture at Newcastle due to "further security incidents".

Former Germany midfielder Ozil and the Bosnia defender were targeted last month by masked and armed attackers who chased their car through London.

London's Metropolitan Police said two men had been arrested in an incident in the north of the city three days ago.

"Two men have been charged under Section 4a of the Public Order Act following an incident in Camden on Thursday," the police said in a statement.

"Ferhat Ercan, 27, and Salaman Ekinci, 27, were charged on August 9 following the incident and are due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on September 6."

Reports suggested the men were arrested after becoming involved in an altercation with security staff outside Ozil's house.

Section 4a of the Public Order Act refers to offences of intentional harassment, alarm or distress, through threatening, abusive or insulting words, behaviour or displays.

Arsenal said on Friday that Ozil and Kolasinac would not be in the squad travelling to Newcastle "following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police.

"The welfare of our players and their families is always a top priority and we have taken this decision following discussion with the players and their representatives.

"We are liaising with the police and are providing the players and their families with ongoing support.

"We look forward to welcoming the players back to the squad as soon as possible."

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at@AO_Sportsand on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.