Last Update 5:16
Thursday, 28 January 2021

Brazil official: World Cup, Olympics will be safe

Brazil's foreign minister says ''all necessary measures'' are being taken to ensure security at next year's soccer World Cup and the 2016 Olympics following the deadly explosions at the Boston Marathon

AP, Tuesday 16 Apr 2013
Brazil
Brazilian Foreign Minister Antonio Patriota (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 636
Share/Bookmark
Views: 636

Antonio Patriota said Tuesday he is confident the country's security measures ''will guarantee the security of the events.''

While Brazil has never been a target of international terrorism, Monday's attacks underscore how vulnerable big sporting events can be. Some observers are predicting authorities beef up security heading for the events, though officials have so far provided few details.

Rio will also host two major events later this year, the Confederations Cup soccer tournament and the World Youth Day, a Roman Catholic pilgrimage that's expected to be attended by Pope Francis and as many as 2.5 million visitors.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.