Last Update 21:29
Thursday, 14 November 2019

Tokyo 2020 bid chief quizzed over payments - reports

AFP , Wednesday 8 Feb 2017
Tokyo 2020
Koji Murofushi (R), Olympic gold medal-winning hammer thrower and Tokyo 2020 Sports Director, poses for pictures in front of Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games emblems after an unveiling event at Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Tokyo, Japan, July 24, 2015 (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1660
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1660

Japanese prosecutors have questioned Japan's Olympic chief and other officials over millions of dollars in payments made during Tokyo's successful bid to host the 2020 Olympics, reports said on Wednesday.

Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) president Tsunekazu Takeda, who also led the Tokyo bid, was among those quizzed in recent weeks at the request of French investigators, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

French authorities said in May last year that they were investigating the 2.8 million Singapore dollar (1.8 million euros, $2 million) payments to a Singapore-based consultancy.

Japanese officials have consistently denied wrongdoing and have said that the payments were for consulting services.

The two payments, linked to a son of disgraced ex-world athletics chief Lamine Diack, were made either side of Tokyo winning the hosting rights at a vote in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

"Having no recognition of the violation of laws nor bribery, I have told (prosecutors) the same explanation I've given (previously)," Takeda told the Yomiuri. Private broadcaster Nippon TV carried a similar story.

A JOC investigation reported last September that it had found no evidence of bribery by Japanese officials in the case.

Diack, whose son Papa Massata Diack has denied receiving the money, was an International Olympic Committee (IOC) member at the time of the Tokyo bid.

The Tokyo prosecutors office declined to comment, while JOC officials and Tokyo 2020 organisers could not immediately confirm the reports.

"The Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee has no means of knowing the bid committee's activities," the organising committee said in an email to AFP.

Allegations the payments were improper were first reported by Britain's Guardian newspaper in last May. Tokyo beat Istanbul and Madrid for the right to host the 2020 Games.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

 
Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.