Last Update 12:44
Monday, 09 December 2019

Handball: Egypt’s Ahly withdraw from IHF Super Globe in boycott of Qatar

Ahram Online , Friday 16 Jun 2017
Ahly
Ahly's handball team (Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2142
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2142

Egyptian powerhouse Ahly have withdrawn from the Handball IHF Super Globe to support the state’s decision to boycott Qatar, the Cairo club announced on Friday.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Arab Gulf allies Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain cut ties with Qatar, citing what they perceive as the tiny country’s support for Islamist militants and Iran.

The IHF Super Globe, which features the champion clubs of continental confederations, will take place in Qatar from 25-28 August.

“Ahly’s executive director Sherein Shams announces that the club would not take part in the IHF Super Globe hosted by Qatar,” the club said in a statement on its official website.

“The withdrawal comes in support of the state’s decision to boycott Qatar. The club had also boycotted (Qatar-owned channels) beIN Sports and prohibited its staff from entering the club’s three headquarters in Cairo.”

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) also said the national team would not do any interviews with beIN Sports nor allow it to cover their news conferences.

The EFA insisted it was willing to pay any fines to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) as a result of its decision.

 (For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

 
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.