Last Update 0:37
Thursday, 23 May 2019

Tennis: Del Potro crashes out in second round

Reuters , Thursday 16 Jan 2014
Del Porto
Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina walks to his seat during a change of ends in his men's singles match against Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 599
Share/Bookmark
Views: 599

Juan Martin Del Potro arrived at the Australian Open tipped as the one player capable of ending the grand slam dominance of Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray but has become the first major male casualty

The gentle giant was felled 4-6 6-3 5-7 6-4 7-5 in the second round by Spain's Roberto Bautista in the early hours of Friday morning.

The fifth-seeded Argentine had shown signs that he might be returning to his best form with victory in the warm-up tournament in Sydney but succumbed in a three-hour 53-minute thriller on court two.

"He played a great match. It's tough when you play a very high level for four hours," the 25-year-old Del Potro told reporters.

Extreme heat kept the former U.S. Open champion and his 62nd-ranked opponent off court until 9.25pm local time and they treated the crowd to an exciting match in which they combined for 100 unforced errors and 125 winners.

Bautista went for his shots to win the latter count 72-53 and took his place in the third round at a grand slam tournament for the first time when the exhausted world number five netted.

Despite succumbing so early in the tournament, Del Potro did not seem too disheartened.

"I already won a tournament last week and that gives me confidence to improve my game," he said.

"This kind of match also helps me to learn something and I will try to take the positive things about this match...to improve my game."

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.