Last Update 22:7
Saturday, 27 May 2017

Marina Al-Alamein archaeological site is set to open in April

Restoration work in Marina Al-Alamein archaeological site in Alexandria has resumed to open in mid April

Nevine El-Aref , Tuesday 16 Sep 2014
Eldamaty inspecting marina site
Eldamaty inspecting marina site
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1228
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1228

Marina Al-Alamein is a well-known summer resort on Egypt's north coast where holidaymakers can enjoy sun, sand and sea in the summertime.

Now, another tourist attraction can be added as the antiquities ministry has resumed restoration work at the archaeological site of Marina Al-Alamein, which was a major Greco-Roman town and port known as Leucaspis 2000 years ago.

Leucaspis was probably destroyed by an earthquake in the late third century AD, but was partially inhabited again in the fifth and sixth centuries AD. A small basilica church uncovered in the eastern sector is considered to be the best evidence of this later occupation.

remains of a temple
Remains of a temple

The recent site includes the remains of more than 50 different structures in the town and necropolis. A commercial quarter was also found as well as the town centre with its baths, markets and a civic basilica.

In addition to the restoration of some of the authentic buildings and columns found, a new parking lot for tourists is to be established and the existing mounds located next to the site entrance will be relocated and reshaped into a panoramic hill. The tourist itinerary will be updated and a trial run of the tourist walk traced in the field. Completion of the site presentation project together with signage and lighting on site and a tourist guidebook in English will be also among the development works.

The Polish Archaeological Institute in Cairo and the American Research Center in Egypt carried out excavation and restoration works since the 1980s when Egypt's government started development of the north coast and archaeological traces appeared during construction.

The Polish excavations yielded a vast collection of findings, including lamps, glass vessels and pottery from Cyprus, the Aegean, Asia Minor and Italy. Several sculptures were also found and among the most remarkable discoveries were a lead coffin and mummies in one of the side chambers of a tomb.

Minister of Antiquities Mamdouh Eldamaty gave the go-ahead for the restoration and development work yesterday during his inspection tour around the site. He promised to officially inaugurate the site in April.

the necropolis
The necropolis
                                                                                                                             

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.