Archaeologists Syndicate to have headquarters in Al-Razaz House
Al-Razaz House at Al-Darbul Ahmar area is to be the new headquarters of the planned Archaeologists Syndicate
Nevine El-Aref, Thursday 13 Oct 2011
Following a meeting with the head of the Archaeologists Syndicate, Fayza Haikal, Mostafa Amine, secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), offered Al-Razaz House in Al-Darbul Ahmar area to be the prospective syndicate's headquarters.
Amine also asked the SCA administration department to provide all the required papers and documents to spruce up the announcement of the syndicate, as well as providing a list names of all SCA archaeologists and curators.
Al-Razaz House was originally chosen by former SCA Secretary General Mohamed Abdel Fatah two months ago to be the syndicate's headquarters. The building is located in the area between Al-Wazir gate and the Souk El-Selah area and it was built by Mameluke Sultan Qayet Bay in the 15th century. In the 19th century it was enlarged following a marriage between families that lived in the house and one neighbouring.
The house gained his name in 1833 after the death of owner Ahmed Katkhuda Al-Razaz. Such a distinguished edifice like other Islamic monuments in the area has been subject to deterioration. Some of its mashrabiya (woodwork) façade collapsed, cracks spread all over its walls, and drainage water from the street leaked inside the house and affected its foundations.
In 1996, the house was the focus of comprehensive archaeological study. The actual restoration work started in 2003 and in 2007 Al-Razaz House was officially opened to public.