Clashes continue in Downtown Cairo
More than 40 people have been killed and hundreds more injured around the country since clashes began last Friday, January 25, the second anniversary of Egypt's revolution
Ahram Online, Sunday 27 Jan 2013
Protesters in Tahrir Square clash with Egyptian security forces overnight on Friday on the second anniversary of the uprising (Photo: Reuters)
Sporadic clashes have continued for a third day in Downtown Cairo between protesters and Egyptian security forces.
The clashes began early morning on Sunday with both sides throwing rocks. Security forces responded with tear gas, pushing the battle back and forth between Qasr el Nil bridge and Tahrir Square.
On Saturday night, masked protesters dressed in black blocked 6th of October bridge in Downtown Cairo for the second time this week. Simultaneously, clashes were going on from the Semiramis Intercontinental hotel to Cairo's state TV building and indiscriminate arrests were made.
Since Friday, thousands of people in Egypt have taken to the streets to mark the second anniversary of the country's revolution.
Clashes have swept the nation since, leaving more than 40 people killed and hundreds injured.
The nationwide death toll since January 25 includes those killed in the Egyptian city of Port Said, where at least 32 people were killed, two of which were police officers. Overall, at least 300 hundred were injured.
Violence broke out in Port Said Saturday morning after a verdict was issued in a trial accusing 73 people for murder and other related charges in relation to last year's football massacre that killed more than 70 Ultras Ahlawy football fans.
The court sentenced 21 of the 73 defendants to death which sparked rage and sporadic gunfire across the port city. Intermittent violence there is still ongoing while army personnel continue securing the governorate.
At least 130 people have been arrested nationwide since the clashes began on Friday, according to Ministry of Interior sources.
According to human rights lawyer Malek Adly, there are currently 22 people detained at Qasr Al-Nil prosecution and 24 in Waily prosecution.
In the port city of Alexandria, 24 are detained in Atareen prosecution. In Beheira, 5 are detained in Damanhour prosecution. In addition there are ten detained in Mansoura.
Those arrested from the march heading to the Shura Council on Saturday were all released, confirmed Adly.
Sarah Abdallah, an independent film editor, was arrested from her home in Garden City for filming the Qasr Al-Aini clashes from her balcony.
Abdallah's apartment was stormed by security forces where she was taken by the police.
Security forces have been trying to close off surrounding streets near the Shura council, Egypt's upper house of parliament, and setting up checkpoints to stop people indiscriminately.